Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why I Love Cake Decorating!




To me, cake decorating is an art form. It is a way to express myself creatively. I got started decorating totally by accident. My uncle George (mum's brother ) gave me Rm 10.00 and asked me to bake a butter cake for him in 1979 and that's when a whole new world opened up for me. I just knew that I wanted to learn this wonderful craft.I started decorating that year by making a Christmas cake of my own. It didn't look as good as the ones pictured, but it was a good start. I learned a lot from my mistakes! In fact, I think the best way to learn is to get in the kitchen and practice, practice, practice. I know my family didn't mind me practicing, because there was always leftover cake in the house!


I also started selling my cakes (only butter cake lah!) to some of my friends in secondary school.

Not bad for a teenager I managed to make some pocket money.

Sure, I had my moments when I thought I would never get it right, but I loved decorating enough to hang in there and keep working at it. Once I started making cakes for family and friends, I was hooked. It is a special feeling to create that one-of-a-kind cake for that special person.If cake decorating is something you are thinking of learning, or if you are in the process of learning, never give up! It is totally worth it to learn this skill, and you will be so glad you stuck with it


Having a wonderful husband helps too!


So let's hear your story, how you got started?

No comments: